Thursday 14 March 2013

Cheap and Cheerful Feel-Good Tips.

After last night's face pack, I decided that today I was going to give my face a well earned rest from make up. Luckily, I'm currently potty training my miniature whirlwind, so we're having a few days at home- perfect for being kind to my skin.
It seems like a good time to make a post on what you can do to be kind to yourself for minimum outlay and effort, as when you're busy and tight on luxuries it's easy to forget about keeping yourself feeling good.


  • Use baby oil as make up remover. I used to use a mixture of baby wipes and all sorts of lotions and potions to remove my make up until I read a tip about baby oil. I've never looked back. Wipes tend to feel harsh and make my face feel 'stripped', whereas since using baby oil it feels soft and cared for. It also manages to tear through even the most stubborn of water proof mascaras without breaking a sweat- miracle.
  • Don't neglect your feet. Especially at this time of year, feet are bundled into shoes and boots and we act surprised when they don't look their best. Now we're approaching nice weather (well, for Britain) and summer shoes, it's a good time to start making those feet presentable. After every bath, I coat my feet in a thick body butter (I love this coconut butter from The Body Shop), pop on a pair of cotton socks and leave on until the morning. My soles have never been softer! Also, don't under estimate how much painted toe nails can improve the look of your feet. I like to use a vibrant colour on my toes, such as this from Barry M in Bright Red.
  • Make your own exfoliator. I only started exfoliating once I fell pregnant as my skin was terrible and nothing was working. Since then, I only have the very odd flare up and my skin looks much fresher. I came across this recipe for home made exfoliator and it really is as good as anything I've tried from Boots.
  • Bottom Butter. This is incredible when your face really needs some intensive care. It's thick and creamy, lasts forever and smells absolutely divine. During the winter months, my skin can get horribly dry, and this cream works wonders.
  • Make an outfit look like you did it on purpose. Matching your shoes and accessories for example gives you a much freer rein in the middle to try out new looks and still look pulled together. Have a top you've been trying to find an outfit with for ages and nothing goes? Try it with a matching handbag/shoe combo and see if it ties together.
  • Layer your scent. I always try to buy the matching shower gel with any new perfume as using them together really helps up the longevity of your scent. There is usually a moisturiser available too if you like scented creams. Personally I draw the line at the companion talc, but my nan swears by it for keeping you smelling wonderful all day.
  • Don't save your clothes for 'best'. Why should the clothes that make you feel the best be worn the least? Maybe it's a carry on from our own mothers, and their mothers, but I speak to so many people that spend the majority of their time in things that don't make them feel gorgeous because they don't want to 'waste' their good clothes. Feeling good is never a waste, ditch the things that don't make you feel fabulous, and wear that dress that makes you smile every time you put it on. 
  • Let a friend rummage through your wardrobe. I've lost count of the amount of times I've put off wearing something because I can't make it work in an outfit, only for a friend to point out the perfect thing that I never would have thought to try it with. Get and honest friend whose style you like, and let them go wild in your wardrobe. You could end up with combinations that look fantastic that have just been waiting for you to try them.
  • Streamline your make up bag. Most of us have a pretty uniform look that we wear most days and save the adventurous stuff for special occasions  Why, then, do a lot of women have bursting at the seams make up bags that make finding your everyday products a hassle every day? Do morning you a favour and streamline your make up bag. Keep your every day bag simple, and keep your dramatic make up separate. It will save you time in the morning and make your routine seem less of a chore.
  • Home tooth whitening. As a smoker and tea addict (naughty blogger, smack my hand), I'm very concious of my teeth and simply cannot afford professional treatments. Before a special occasion, I dip my toothbrush in bicarbonate of soda before brushing and it makes a noticeable difference. Cheap and effective- my favourite combination.
  • Put some music on. Seems obvious, but I often forget how much easier the housework is if I'm singing along to some old favourites. The over the top dancing that comes naturally also helps work up a sweat and lets me fit in my 20 mins of exercise a day without even noticing I've done it. Lazy girl win.
  • Home made face pack. This is a brilliant little cheat version of facials you might have received in salons. Mix about four asprin tablets into a few teaspoons of milk until they dissolve, then rub onto your face in circles and leave for about 15 mins before rinsing off. The aspirin is saliycilic acid which is the BHA acid used in expensive products and the milk is lactic acid (AHA), another miracle ingredient. Try it, your face will feel like an angels backside.
  • Vaseline. Oh, good old vaseline. I use it every night before bed on my lips, I shield my hairline and ear with it while dyeing my hair, I use it around my nails if my skin is a bit tender, is there anything it can't do? Possibly the most versatile beauty product there is, and cheaper than a portion of chips from my local chippy- bargain.

So that's my tips for a fresh feeling you, do you have any secret potions or tips that make you look and feel good?

No comments:

Post a Comment